Masterworks is your crowning achievement; a timeless heirloom statement crafted to elevate the custom drum concept to a whole new level.
You've Arrived. It's Time To Tell The World
Choose from Maple, Birch, African Mahogany, Gumwood, or create your own Composite Shells.
Choose from THIN (4-ply, 5mm w/ 4-ply Reinforcement Rings), MEDIUM (6-ply, 7.5mm), and THICK (8-ply, 10mm and 10-ply, 12.5mm)
Custom Shell Interiors
Expand your tonal spectrum with three interior shell options: Artisan Veneers, Fiberglass, and CarbonPly.
Custom Shell Exteriors
Our custom shop imaging and finishing team can make it a reality over your choice of hand-matched exteriors or one of our seven Artisan Exotic veneers: Cameroon Tamo, Black Limba, Flame Maple African, Zebrawood, Bubinga, Eucalyptus, and Carbonply
Masterworks offers a choice of five sonically-tested edges: Outer 45°, Outer 60°, Inner 45°, Rounded 45°, Fully Rounded
NEW FOR 2017
- Pearl presents Sonic-Select Shell Recipes: five distinct, studio-tested drum formulas each fine-tuned for their given performance application. Choose from STUDIO, HERITAGE, URBAN, STADIUM, and MODERN DRY.
- Gumwood plies option for Masterworks and Artisan (Inner and Middle plies only) Fully Rounded Edges Are Not Available On 10 Ply Shells.
- 60º outer bearing edge and 45º degree inner bearing edge options.
- Matte or Carbon Fiber Finishes.
- Black Nickel Hardware option for Masterworks, Masterworks CarbonPly Maple, and Artisan.
- Choice of Black Limba, Zebra, Curley Maple, and Gum inner and outer plies for Artisan finishes.
- Choice of Golden Ratio Pentagonal Die Cast Air Vents or Standard Position Round Die Cast Air Vents.
- ARL55/65 Arch Tube Lugs w/Swivel Function (on shells 5" - 6.5" deep).
- STL200 Lug option for Bass Drums and Gong Drums.
- Order with or without CHB830 Bass Drum Mount Cymbal Holder
- Extra Long 27" Legs on Floor Tom Shell Depths 11" or less
Wood Choices & Shell Thickness
For a totally personal sonic signature, of perfection. Masterworks has more options for shell composition than any other custom drum builder; making each drum a truly unique work of art.
MapleThe perfect blend of tone, attack, and body.
• Ideal for general purpose applications.
• Equal tonal amounts of hi-end attack, mid-range body, and
• North American hardwood with rich, even grain.
BirchThe precision choice for high-volume cut and power.
• Premium “white” wood with marbled, subdued grain.
• Excellent for stage and studio w/ boosted highs and mellow mids.
• “Built-in EQ” delivers articulate stroke with shorter, even decay.
African MahoganyDeep, powerful punch with dark, elegant tone.
• Boosted bottom-end perfect for controlled rooms/studios.
• Beautifully smooth midrange sustain and hi-end roll-off.
• Porous African wood with rich, dark texture and grain.
The Ultimate Hybrid.
• Combining wood types blends each material's sonic character.
• Each cross-laminated two-ply panel is hand-selected for proper density, grain consistency, and color.
GumwoodExplosive projection and increased volume.
• A medium-density wood that produces explosive tone.
• Ideal as a core-ply; enhances tonal character in surrounding plies.
• Projects w/substance and power as an interior/tone-ply.
Masterworks allows you to further tailor your drum tone by selecting the thickness of each shell.
(4-ply, 5mm w/ 4-ply Reinforcement Rings)
Responsive tonal sustain for the near-field environment.
Maximum tonal note for the
Ideal for general purpose play. Excellent projection with full-bodied tonality.
(8-ply, 10mm and 10-ply, 12.5mm)
Maximum cut and projection
with subdued sustain.
Your snare drum is as custom as the rest of your kit
Pearl's Masterworks wood snare drums can be ordered with 1 - 20 ply shells with any number of wood combinations and bearing edges making it them of the most versatile wood snare drums available.
|Diameter||*1-ply 7.5mm||4-ply 5mm||6-ply 7.5mm||8-ply 10mm||10-ply 9mm||10-ply 12.5mm||20-ply 18mm||20-ply 25mm|
Pearl’s Superior Shell Technology utilizes a proprietary technique for achieving the ultimate air chamber. It begins with select woods chosen for their unique acoustic attributes, milled to precise thickness with overlapping scarf joint seams, for a perfect air-tight fit. The wood plies are saturated with Pearl’s proprietary “AcoustiGlue” that permeates every pore and dries to the exact consistency of the wood for optimum resonance. Finally, the plies are formed in high-temperature molds with 1000 PSI of hydraulic pressure to produce perfect drum shells that exhibit superior tone, optimal resonance and extreme strength.
Nothing influences a drum’s overall response more than the bearing edge. Masterworks offers a choice of five sonically-tested edges, each of which can be configured individually by drum, application, and shell side.
Provides the perfect blend of attack and warmth.
Pulls brighter overtones from darker shells and increases punch.
Edge apex focused to the inner shell plies for controlled tonal response.
Greater head-to-shell contact boosts mid to high frequencies.
Boosts mid-to-low range response and reduces decay.
The Perfect Compliment to a Great Set of Drums
The same tireless pursuit of perfection that goes into our legendary drums is found in our drum hardware. With Masterworks, you get to choose which hoops (Die-Cast, Fat Tone, or SuperHoop II), lugs (BRL100, STL150, STL100, CL100), and mounting brackets (Aluminum OptiMount, Optimount, I.S.S.) go on your custom drums. Finally, your drum hardware can be plated with Chrome, Nickel, Black Chrome or Gold to make your drums truly unique.
Hardware Color Options
Custom configure a choice of five different plating options to any one of our precision tuning lugs, hoops, and drum hardware.
- (l to r) Chrome (CL100 Masters Maple Reserve/Masters Maple Complete Style Lug)
- Nickel (STL100 Reference Pure Single Style Lug)
- Gold (STL150 Reference Pure Style Lug)
- Black Nickel (BRL150 Reference Style Lug)
- Black Chrome (STL150 Reference Pure Single Style Lug)
Golden Ratio For Air Vents
The Golden Ratio, also known as the Golden Section, Golden Mean, Golden Rectangle, and the Divine Proportion, has fascinated mathematicians since the time of the Pharaohs. It is a mathematical constant (1.61803) that is found repeatedly in nature and has been used by artisans for generations to create art and structure with pleasing proportions.
Stradivarius applied the Golden Ratio to define the location of the "f-holes" and proportions of his masterwork violins. The exterior dimensions of the Parthenon are said to form a perfect Golden Rectangle. The proportions found in Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" follow the Golden Ratio. Intrigued by this, our engineers asked if the Golden Ratio was applicable to drums and more specifically to the location of the air vents.
For every drum depth there is an upper and lower Golden Ratio location, and testing revealed that the upper location noticably improves attack, which is perfect for snare drums, while the lower position improves low frequency response, ideal for toms and bass drums. Pearl's revolutionary new Golden Ratio air vents are so unique they're patent pending.
Experience the sound of Golden Ratio air vents, centuries in the making, exclusively on Masterworks Series drums.
MasterCast Die-Cast Hoop
Gives each drum added weight for tonal body, and increases volume in each stroke, particularly in rim-shot hits and high-velocity play.
1.6mm FatTone Hoop
FatTone hoops are low mass hoops with hemmed and welded edges for strength and rigidity.
2.3 SuperHoop II
Made to withstand heavy play without an undue limit on the performance across the tuning range.
BRL Swivel Tube Lugs
This medium-weight STL swivel lug with pivoting tension casing increases projection and reduces unwanted overtones in shell resonance.
A Pearl staple, the CL bridge lug gives the drum a classic look and contacts the shell in separate points for the right amount of vibration control.
STL Swivel Tube Lugs
Pearl’s revolutionary swivel tube lugs assure perfect rod to lug alignment for optimal seating and precision tuning.
STL Swivel Lugs
With less direct shell contact than any other Pearl lug, this little wonder features a pivoting brass tension casing that guarantees even tuning and reduced resistance to shell vibration.
Imagine, Design, Play.
Configure your perfect visual statement from a virtually unlimited palette of customized finish options; from Gloss, Satin, and Sparkle Lacquers in Solid or Burst/Fade finishes, to Pinstriping, Banding, and even Custom Graphics.
Our custom shop imaging and finishing team can make it a reality over your choice of hand-matched exteriors or one of our seven Artisan Exotic veneers.